Monday 9 November 2009

Nothing is as dull as nothing.


                                                                                                           I am acutely aware that just as this blog is gaining more followers, there is less to report, and less is happening. Never having written a blog before, I am feeling that I have some sort of duty to be entertaining, a concept that, for me, is caught just about midway between the benevolent and the   egotistical. I can only hope, that writing about the technical things that are going on will not prove to be excruciatingly dull, but the fact is there is little else to write about at the moment, and I don't want to stray too far from my subject and start on say, politics or religion...





I know some of my friends who look at this, want to hear about such things the blue skies over Tahiti, and the company of affectionate dolphins, but that's just not the way it is right now, and I can only take comfort in knowing that this blog is not compulsory reading.
I am happy to report that I do not need to fit a Floscan meter because the Murphy Powerview display will give an accurate real-time read out of the fuel burn of the main engine, so that's quite a bit of money saved, and one advantage of the new(ish) breed of electronic engines.
La Conner Maritime have fitted the Wing PSS shaft seal, so I'm happy about that too. They found the wing shaft was pitted (the main one was so bad it had to be replaced) but I decided to keep it. The steel is AQ17, and while strong, it rusts if the boat is not used a lot. AQ22HS is a far superior grade of metal, but it also is far more expensive. At least I now have that on the main shaft.
I have the SSB radio now, and I look forward to talking to complete strangers in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure they will be full of useful info. It can also be used for email.
If a cellphone has more computing power than it took the Saturn V rocket to reach the moon, then I have enough computing power on board to get to the next galaxy... A powerful computer just for the Sonar, of which I will write more in the future, another for the Nobletec navigation system, and a laptop for the internet and communications from the Fleet 55 satellite system from KVH. This is not the very latest equipment, but it will do. The laptop can get a virus, the other ones won't get the chance- I consider them too important.
The sanitation system is sorted now, and I have refuelled the boat, which takes 2500 gallons of diesel. That is so expensive it got me thinking I should have had a sail. Storm follows storm out in the ocean, and I have no oportunity to move. This is the worst month, say the locals, so as painful as it is to be stuck, it is far less painful than sinking. Best Fishes to you all.







18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fuel truck today sounded like a giant Taxi Cab meter - going - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. So we got most of the technical details. The interesting info is, what happens inside your head with the approaching departure date. Any news from the crew?
    Bernhard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ned....the new blog color, its painfull !

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, Ned! I met Donna the other day and talked to Oleg in the yard today. I saw you on deck today, but on the hard you were way above my 6'3" frame! I have so more work Friday in the yard and then I am off to Arizona for the winter. Maybe I will knock on the hull tomorrow after I finish my job to say hello.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave, maybe this is seasick green for Donna! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Chris....

    My first thought was "I'm at the wrong place"

    So, I guess Donna favors the inland waters with light-chop ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave- Tilt your screen a little more towards you, and you will see it is a lovely colour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bernhard- I cannot answer your question, as the plans are very fluid, and what is in my head is as unpredictable as the weather...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Capt Ned....a bit softer green since I was here last, but no doubt you haven't heard the stories about the color green and yachting... ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ned, we did the Southern half of the Oregon Coast today. Do not think you would want to be out there right now even in a N62. Of course we were on Hwy 101 with the 5th wheel trailer heading South for the winter.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ned, we went out yesterday and did another ocean check for you. Looking down to Point Arguello and Point Conception things looked good. Heading inland today, so giving up as forward scout!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopped by there today...she looks pretty lonely
    sitting back in there among all the others

    No one around....spring would be a good time to begin again, with a trip to Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris....I think they left without us, would they really do that ?

    Had my camera & video gear all ready to go... :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another false start on Dec 3rd..

    Saw LW backing out of her slip so I headed up on Cap Sante to shoot some pictures

    Beginning here and the 53 pictures that follow

    http://smugmug.com/Boats/Nordhavn-62Lone-Wolf/6551955_KNzvb#739801253_mSTgv

    I think you guys should just leave without Ned, send him an email and tell him he's welcome to come back aboard anytime !

    I'm ready to go south as official "Voyage of Lone Wolf" photographer... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ned,
    where are? You even vanished on facebook. LW and its owner ok?
    Best
    Bernhard

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lone Wolf remains in her slip at Cap Santa Marina in Anacortes..as of 1/12/10

    Looks pretty quiet around there....maybe Ned is rethinking the plan, start fresh in the spring with a vist to Alaska, which had been his plan for spring 09

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lone Wolf departed Anacortes toward the sunshine...!

    ReplyDelete