Wednesday 5 May 2010

I am a moron (technical post, insomnia cure)

There is a little light bulb that has failed and this is the light bulb that tells me whether the main hydraulic pump is operating, but since it is always unlit (because it is broken) it is not always easy to tell whether the pump is operating or not. There may be a spare bulb on board, and it indeed has been alleged that there is one under Captain Mike's bed, but I have been unable to locate it, mainly because I haven't bothered to look.
Anyway, I should be able to tell when the pump is operating because it makes a high pitch whine. It operates the stabilizers, or at least provides the hydraulic pressure for them, and the boat was rolling something rotten last night, despite the stabizers appearing to be on. Just heavy 12ft seas, we thought, as furniture and foodstuffs flew around the room.
At 4am this morning the stabilizer control panel started beeping with the alarm message 'Trouble with port fin-insert locking pin' At that point Dave appeared for some reason, and suggested that I reset the system. Now obviously I have no idea how to do that, so I thought that turning on and off the hydraulic pump might do it. When I pressed the hydraulic pump button a remarkable thing happened. The familiar whine started up (why hadn't I noticed its absence before?) and the stabilizers started functioning correctly, and (relative) peace and calm was restored, rather than bloody chaos, which had very nearly tipped me out of bed earlier. The pump had been off...
You live and learn. All seems good now (seems) Now where was that light bulb?
We anchor in Cook's bay, Moorea, tonight, as we will reach Tahiti in the dead of night, then we will proceed to our berth in Marina Taina in the morning. Papeete. Civilization. Yay!

2 comments: